Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Social Action

I'm feeling rather politically motivated these days and I'm not sure why. I think it's a good thing to be motivated to work for the positive in a world overwhelmed with the negative. However, the more that I think about what I could be doing (and subsequently what I'm NOT currently doing), I find that by listening to those who have been and/or are NOW engaged in social action helps me get motivated to actually do something in this world in which I live. We're supposed to be helping God enact the Kingdom of God in the earth, so why are we so passive and so eager to let it go to waste? Granted, conservative evangelical Christians are EAGER to "reform" America and help it "return" to the country's "Christian" roots, but they want to do so at the expense of the REST of the world and at the expense of the environment, animals, minorities, lower classes, and other who are less privileged. Paraphrasing Jim Wallis, "When did God become rich, white, and American?"

Look over this interview with Amy Goodman and Howard Zinn. I'd be interested to know what some of you think, those of you who actually read my blog.

(Hehehe.... I rather enjoy self-depricating humor and I don't know why.... Another issue for another post....)


*Howard Zinn: "To Be Neutral, To Be Passive In A Situation Is To Collaborate With Whatever Is Going On"
*We speak with legendary historian Howard Zinn, author of one of the most popular books on American History, "A People's History of the UnitedStates." In his youth, Zinn was a bombardier in World War II and participated in the Napalm bombing in France. He went on to dedicate his life to opposing wars of all kind. He was an active fighter in Civil Rights Movement and served as an advisor to the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee. In the late 1960s, he traveled to Vietnam with Father Dan Berrigan during intensive US attacks and negotiated the release of US POWs. In fact, Howard Zinn was a part of most struggles for social justice in thiscountry during his lifetime. He joins us in our firehouse studio.

Listen/Watch/Read
http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/04/27/1350240

1 Comments:

Blogger draven said...

I keep thinking about how you would really like two of my online blogging friends, who I intriduced to each other for the same reason.

http://www.ericisrad.com/
http://theoblogical.org/movtyp/

Both of which speak about Politics & Christianity a lot.

Saturday, April 30, 2005 2:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home