Saturday, June 04, 2005

Kevin Bacon

NEWSFLASH!!

I haven't yet made it hell today, which is a good thing in my opinion. I didn't feel the minions of Satan dragging me down into the abyss last night, which is also a very good thing. Furthermore, I didn't feel guilty about breaking the rules of the legalistic church history from which I've left, yet still plagues my spiritual development.

Yes, that's right. I went out dancing last night with friends. I even drank 2 glasses of wine with dinner last night.

Yes, that's right. I'm a sinner, bound for Hell in that proverbial handbasket because of my scandalous actions and behaviors.

Yes, that's right. I enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it. Seriously. I had a good time and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

One of my BEST friends in the world celebrated her 26th Birthday yesterday and, to celebrate, she invited her closest friends out for dinner and dancing at a restaurant here in town. This restaurant came complete with a live band playing salsa/merengue music, with a few cheesy Top 40 hits thrown in there, and a decently-sized dancefloor. Being a musician (guitars & drums), I have rather good rhythm, but as most musicians know, that rhythm frequently doesn't translate to having great moves.

That all being said, I had a great time. First off, I was with some of my best friends in the world. Second, there was a 2:1 Girl:Boy ratio (6 girls & 3 boys), which is an excellent ratio if you're a single guy. Third, I allowed myself to get out of my shell and have fun without worrying that some church leader is going to run in the door, kick me out of leadership, and damn my soul to hell for dancing with girls and drinking some wine. It was a very freeing experience in a very spiritual kind of way for me. It allowed me to break out of some inhibitions that I'd created for myself and just enjoy being with people.

I had my own Kevin-Bacon "Footloose" experience. Go out and find your own. It doesn't have to be dancing, but there's probably something out there, some bit of socialized church behavior from your past that's been holding you back. Find a way to break free of those bonds. You'll be a better person for it and you might actually have a bit of fun along the way. Besides, where do you read in the OT or NT where dancing and wine are bad things?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home