Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I like George Orwell....

I've taken to going through my bookshelves and rereading so much fiction these days. I seem to have rediscovered my great love for story -- both hearing them told, reading them, writing them, and telling them to others. I fell out of love with story about 2 or so years ago as I perused and pursued deeper theology, mostly because my church heritage/culture didn't really have anything there and typically frowned upon the average believer really studying theology. Such things were for the revered "theologians" who people respected but never really understood, since they were too "smart" for the average believer.

(Side note -- YEAH FUNDAMENTALISM!!! The "simpler" you keep things, the easier you can keep the masses stupid and overly dependent upon preachers, theologians, and church leaders for the difficult task of thinking about God and stuff.)

Thus, along with reading through C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia this summer in anticipation of the movie release of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, I am looking forward to enjoying and delving into the works of Orwell, Huxley, Salinger, Steinbeck, and Hornby (amongst others) as I regain my love for stories that say something, say nothing, or just say stuff.


Here is an exerpt from Orwell's Coming Up for Air, the story of George (Tubby) Bowling's meandering thoughts on middle-class suburban life during the first half of the 20th century in England.


"Well, Hilda and I were married, and right from the start it was a flop. Why did you marry her? you say. But why did you marry yours? These things happen to us. I wonder whether you'll believe that during the first two or three years I had serious thoughts of killing Hilda. Of course in practice on never does these things, they're only a kind of fantasy that one enjoys thinking about. Besides, chaps who murder their wives always get copped. However cleverly you've faked the alibi, they know perfectly well that it's you who did it, and they'll pin it on you somehow. When a woman's bumped off, her husband is always the first suspect -- which gives you a little side-glance of what people really think about marriage."


Well? What do you all think? Comments? Considerations?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home